Welcome to the AISC – Elementary School!
The American International School Chennai Elementary School is truly a diverse community of learners where over 500 students from 30 nations come together each day to learn in a challenging, holistic and vibrant academic setting, balanced by a supportive and nurturing environment. We are proud of our small-school, family-oriented atmosphere. Before and after school, you will see many parents on the playground playing with their children or enjoying conversation with other parents and staff members. We hope you will join our family!
The elementary years are very important years in a child’s development. At every stage of development, students are presented with learning experiences which are appropriate to their level. The core classes (literacy, mathematics, science and social studies) are taught by the homeroom teacher. Subject specialist teachers teach physical education, art, music, Indian Studies, library and, from grade 3, world languages (French and Spanish). Recognizing that many of our students come from a linguistic background other than English, we offer English as an Additional Language. Our caring and dedicated teachers strive to meet the social, intellectual physical and emotional needs of all of our students. Sometimes children have needs which require further support. Our Learning Resource Center teachers and/or our Guidance Counselor will help students who have special cognitive and emotional needs. After school, your child may choose to participate in our After-School Activity Program. We offer several activities so your child can be sure to find a class in which to participate.
I asked some of our students to share what they enjoy about AISC:
(1) We like when we have a book fair.
(2) We like the library because we like all the librarians and we like to read books.
(3) We like soccer and the field because it’s so huge.
(4) We like art class because we get to paint and the teacher is a good artist.
(5) We learn about rocks, maps, nouns, math, and vertebrates.
(6) We like activities like Mathemania, After-School Activities, India Week, UN Day and Halloween.
(7) We love read aloud, Daily 5, and making diaries.
(8) We like music class because it’s cool and we play with the instruments.
- Grade 1 Students
On behalf of Ms Anne Sweet, Assistant Principal, and the entire elementary school staff, I thank you for visiting our site. We look forward to welcoming you to our community.
Elementary School Principal